Wouldn’t it be great to have a tool that could help you get a better understanding of who YOU are so you can be the BEST version of yourself as well as having an understanding of those around you so you can go thru life with less stress, more joy, more fun, more peace, living more On Purpose? And this applies not only for you personally but in your relationships as well. It could be your family, your friends, your co-workers, even people you really don’t like. Having something that gives you clarity in everything that almost defines you as matter-of-fact as can be. That tool does exist.
I did a post over a year ago about StrengthsFinder, a test that analyzes who you are based upon 34 talents that we all have. You can see that post HERE. It’s based on the book by Tom Rath Strengths Finder 2.0. Well, I loved that self exploration and gaining that bit of knowledge so much that I decided to take it a step further to enhance my life and relationships even more so. Earlier this winter I began working with a coach to get a better in depth understanding of my strengths and how they relate to how I roll the way I “do life” and what makes me tick, and I must say, it was such an eye opener.
Who needs this? EVERYONE. If you desire clarity, for yourself, for what you are doing with your life (or not), for personal relationships, for business relationships, seriously, it’s for you. Even me as a parent, it has given me clarity on my KIDS. Even if you’re perfectly happy with everything in your world, it’s personal growth. I was totally happy when I decided to take this test to see what my strengths were. And the SUPER cool thing about it was it confirmed for me that I was doing exactly what I was supposed to be doing based upon my talents. So let me give you my thoughts in an overview of the whole thing first.
1. We have no weaknesses. We’re all made of strengths (or talents). 34 of them. We all have some we’re most dominant in and some that are not so much dominant, but they all show up in ourselves as little or much as they need to be as the circumstances call for them to be. They are ranked from what you’re most dominant in to the least, and so then obviously, the ones on the bottom we’re the least strongest, however we still have all 34 of them.
2. I call our 34 strengths our DNA. We each are made different, correct? Different skin, different eyes, different body shapes, different likes and dislikes and talents and interests. Such is the case in our strengths. Two people might have three out of five be the same in our top five, however, our 6-10 might be so different that those show up more because of how they’re sewn together. So just because two people have activator, input and maximizer, they will actually still do things similarly, yet different because of how their other strengths are woven in. Those strengths will still be evident, but other factors might make them play out different in different scenarios.
3. Which leads me to my third part. We’re all like gemstones with 34 facets and these facets shine in different ways depending on the circumstances and the needs we have. Sometimes that activator is shining brightly, popping up with business ideas, and them sometimes my intellection sparkles and keeps me silent to think think think think think. Again all depending on the situation, they all shine solo or combined with their other facets in different ways. (thank you to my coach for the facet analysis! #clarity!)
4. There is no wrong or right in what you are and what the person is next to you. Just having the understanding of how your personal DNA works is what you need to give you clarity to fulfill what it is you want to do, be, achieve, and how you want to live. Once you understand that, then you know what tools you need to accomplish the things you want to accomplish and/or understand yourself and be the best YOU you can be.
Here are some ah-ha’s for me:
- So that’s why the teachers always said, “man she’s a talker”.
So that’s why I’m always coming up with business ideas. As in weekly. I’m not kidding. For others, as well, and without even trying or being asked.
So that’s why I always say “go big or go home.”
So that’s why it clicked with me when I heard the phrase “People work harder for praises as they do raises.”
So that’s why I love deep conversation and can be hours thinking so deep about something that I lose track of time… And sleep!
So that’s why I’m so comfortable in front of the camera.
- So that’s why I’m always wanting to do more and be more.
So that’s why I always put off tasks or projects.
So that’s why I could never finish a project I started.
… and all of that is perfectly ok, because that’s MY DNA.
In relation to others:
- So that’s why she’s always wanting to make her straight A’s.
- So that’s why he loves those types of games.
- So that’s why he enjoys these kinds of TV shows and she enjoys those kinds of TV shows.
- So that’s why it takes forever for him to make a decision and has to analyze it all.
- So that’s why she is so loud and it’s exhausting being around her.
- So that’s why she always seems to want the attention in the room.
- So that’s why she’s the greatest friend to go to to listen and help me through things.
- So that’s why he’s so full of himself, because he is so full of himself.
- So that’s why she’s trying to do what I am doing and the things I’ve done. (poor thing… ha!)
So yes, knowing my strengths gives me clarity for myself and having my coach has given me more in depth knowledge of these as well as techniques in how to live with them, things to do to enhance my life and reduce stress as well. But now that I know more in depth, I also get other people! In other words, not only is it about me, but it’s about others! Which is SO awesome! I’m like ahhhhhhhhh. It almost makes sense why people are the way they are.. it’s because of their DNA and how their 34 are put together in their puzzle.
Here’s the deal. Personal growth things have always been of interest to me from as long as I can remember… Just like we take care of our bodies by feeding it good foods and excersize, same goes with our mind. Nourishing it with things that help us grow. And understanding who you are is a huge role in that and key to helping you succeed in business, in relationships, and living a fulfilled life.
Want to learn more? Get the book along with a coupon code for the test HERE.
If you’re in the Oklahoma City area, connect with Activate Your Strengths. There are workshops so you can learn more and connect with others. Check out their schedule online because there are always events available for you to attend.
If you’d like to connect with my coach, find him HERE. Kahlil happens to be outside of London. Isn’t that the COOLEST? There are no boundaries when it comes to being on purpose with growing yourself.
Now go on all of you fruit out there… do your thing… apples and oranges… yes, ok you too, pears, bananas, strawberries, kiwis and grapes! Be the best YOU you can be. After all, isn’t living #onpurpose is what it’s really all about?
Jim Collison (@Jim_at_Gallup) says
Love it and thanks for sharing. If people have more questions or would like to take the StrengthsFinder Assessment, they can find the site at http://gallupstrengthscenter.com
Irene Gianos says
Thank you Jim! Yes! I’ll reshare the link! 😉
Khalil Patwa says
Such clarity. What a gem you are.
Irene Gianos says
Thank you Khalil! Having someone that helps me get polished is the biggest blessing to me.