I’m still on this mission (my forever mission, being that vertically challenged one that I am!) to shed those few pounds I gained this summer. I’m exploring everything that will make this not only easier for me but healthier as well. Would you ever think water and weight loss go hand in hand? 1% of water could make a big difference in your overall self actually. If you’re trying to lose weight or want to eat healthier, drinking a little more water could make a big difference. A recent study found that adults who increased their consumption of water by 1% ate fewer calories, and less sugar, salt, fat, and cholesterol.
According to a recent study at the University of Illinois, drinking 1 to 3 more glasses of water a day helped participants to cut out 68 to 205 calories, along with the other positive changes. To put that in perspective, you’d have to jog for about 25 minutes or walk for about 45 minutes to burn 200 calories.
I can handle that! I know a lot of times we confuse thirst for hunger. Try having a glass of water before putting that food in your mouth and see if that snack attack or ping of hunger subsides a bit. Chances are it will keep those snack attacks at bay.
For such significant results with so little effort, I am definitely going to implement this. I want you to do it with me! Use these tips to help you drink more water and make other quick and powerful changes.
Individual needs vary, so the old rule about drinking 8 glasses of water a day is just a suggestion that may or may not work for you. Talk with your doctor if you have any questions about how much water would work best. I am shooting for 64 ounces of water. Right now I may drink 48? 64 ounces is more than 10%, but I think it’s going to help me way more.
Use these guidelines to add more water to your diet:
- Carry a bottle. Bring a bottle of water along with you wherever you go. That way you can take sips throughout the day.
- Add flavor. Plain water can taste great, but maybe you want a little more excitement. Add cucumber slices, ginger, or limes. I do lemons all the time. I am loving my water bottle that has an “infuser” built-in! You could also brew a cup of green tea or drink sparkling water.
- Buy a filter. If your tap water has an unpleasant aftertaste, invest in a filter. They’re relatively inexpensive and easy to install.
- Eat your water. Many foods have a high water volume. Good choices include celery, cabbage, spinach, broccoli, watermelon, oranges, and strawberries.
- Limit alcohol. On the other hand, alcohol is dehydrating. Most experts recommend up to 1 cocktail a day for women and 2 for men. I know for me I tend to swell really bad and retain water when I drink too much alcohol.
- Measure your intake. Know how many ounces your bottle holds, and use a scratch pad or an app to check off how much you’ve had to drink.
- Add energy and take away your appetite into your water. Wait, what? Yup! I, for years, have sworn by an energy fizz stick. It’s a powder I add to 8 ounces of water, it fizzes, and it gives me energy, curbs my appetite, and gives me tons of B vitamins. Not only is it something I can’t live without, guess who else swears by it? My daughter, who is 16, a boss babe, and she suffered a long bout of Mono last year and a major relapse this spring. She depends on this for energy, and after she drinks it, she swears she doesn’t snack. Out of the mouths of babes!
- Find a bottle you love. As crazy as it sounds, we’re all picky on the mouth of the openings of our bottles. The way the grip feels. If it fits in your cup holder in your car. There are SO many little details that affect our individual taste when it comes to our bottles believe it or not. I love my infusion bottle!
About those energy appetite fizz drinks….
They’re amazing! They come in a box of 30, in either pomegranate or citrus. We love them both! They retail for $54 (which is LESS than a Starbucks and better for you, too!) Or you can save 15% on all purchases as a preferred client. Your choice. Any questions? Email me! You can order yours HERE.
Tumblers I’m loving…. It’s all a matter of preference! Certain days I want a straw, others I love my Swell, and when I want my lemon, I use my infuser.
Water aside, talking fashion really quick! My top is one of my most shopped items. It comes in peach AND grey and is perfect for transitioning from warm to cooler weather. I’m loving it now and I plan to layer it with a cardigan during cooler days. Here’s my look!
Smart lifestyle choices will help keep your mind and body strong and fit. Drinking more water is one easy habit to work in. It’s not that hard and it can make a big impact on our weight loss goals.