Ok ok ok …. before you spit out your drink in laughter saying, “did she just SAY that?”… Yes… I just said that.
Mushrooms are magical! HA! But they ARE! I’m serious here!
First before I dive into this good stuff, this is World Salt Awareness Week. Yup. Bet ya didn’t know that! So for those of us who totally swell up from eating salty foods, this week is for us to remember to maybe think of better choices (like the mushrooms!) … or just deal with it I guess! HA!
But this is some really cool info I’m excited to share with you because I LOVE LOVE LOVE mushrooms, and the good thing about them is they are SO good for you.
If you’re not a mushroom lover, I want you to see what these little morsels can do for your body.
The BEST place for a food to be on that table is the upper right corner. And look at the STAR rating. Does it get better than that? No.
Why are these morsels so great? They are free of gluten, salt and cholesterol, and rich in vitamin D, B vitamins, antioxidants, potassium and selenium, along with compounds that seem to help reduce our risk of heart disease and enhance our immune function.
A few more deets for you…
- Cholesterol Free
- Fat Free
- Salt Free
- Enough Vitamin D for your daily requirement
- Lowers the risk of cancer, in particular breast and prostate cancer
- Has zero effect on blood glucose levels, meaning it’s the perfect food for diabetics
- Keeps blood pressure healthy
- Protein rich vegetable (specific protein that has anti-cancer properties)
- Lots of antioxidants
- Nutrients found in mushrooms are beneficial to healthy skin and hair
- Lowers your risk of heart disease
- Ideal food for coeliacs and those on a gluten free diet
- One of the highest antioxidants foods on the market
- Promotes healthy immune system and long life because of some of its unique antioxidants
- One of the most ideal foods for weight loss
- Considered one of “Nature’s Superfood”
For the record, I am not a nutritionist or a dietician, but I do TRY my hardest to be as OP as I can be on foods and diet. I have to credit all this great info to the folks at Power of Mushrooms.
I throw mushrooms into as many things as I can… pizzas, pastas, salads, omelets, and I’ve been known to seriously just eat them raw as my lunch. Just like that. Plain as can be, just as a good light filler.
If you’re a mushroom lover, you’ll love em more with these morsels of facts you might have not known about them till now. If mushrooms haven’t been your favorite, maybe now you’ll give em a try!
If you’re interested in more info, these peeps have tons of info on the shrooms….