Cold days are here and there isn’t anything better than coming home to a pot full of comfort food, something filling and warm, and something healthy.
I’m a huge chili lover. So tonight I decided to make a light chicken chili for the gang. It was pretty easy, and I made if from scratch.
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breasts
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 (15-ounce) can white beans, with liquids from beans
- 1 (4-ounce) can diced green chilis, with liquids from chilis
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ teaspoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- Add chicken to a 4-quart, heavy bottomed Dutch oven or stockpot. Add chicken stock and cook until tender, about 15 minutes. Shred chicken with two forks and then add back to the liquid.
- Add garlic and onion to stockpot, white beans, green chilis, dried oregano, cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and chopped fresh oregano. Stir until well-combined. Taste for flavor and adjust to your preference.
- Simmer over low heat for about 5 minutes. Remove from heat and serve.
Here’s what I did a little different and it was really good… I think I did it the way I did because I was moving so fast and furious that I didn’t quite pay attention to it all! I used regular water and boiled my chicken to make my own broth, then I shredded the chicken, added the broth, chicken and remaining ingredients into my crockpot and let it sit there for several hours. I also rinsed out my beans… I was wondering why it wasn’t overly thick and kinda brothy. That didn’t bother me, but I do wish I paid attention to the not rinsing of the beans. It would have been thicker. Because I didn’t use store bought broth, there wasn’t much salt, so I used crazy mixed up salt too. I’m sure if you’re in a pinch, use canned broth and cooked chicken for a shortcut. Regardless, it was SO good I can’t even TELL you… and ULTRA light!
And I did it up OH so good…
I crushed up some tortilla chips, put them in the bottom of my bowl,
then added my chili,
then topped it with shredded cheese and fresh cilantro.