People ask me all the time how did I grow my business and how does it continue to grow. We are SO fortunate to BE in business in this day and age. Back when I was growing up, there was no internet, there were magazines, newspapers, TV, no such thing as blogging, and to connect with people who seem untouchable was only a dream.
Fast forward to the 21st century, where we have the world literally at our fingertips with the internet, our smartphones and technology that I would have never dreamed of. What an amazing tool this is to be able to do so much more than ever before. Part of this knowledge we need to have to be able to grow what we do is social media know-how.
I’ve been asked this many times by people and get compliments all the time, so I thought I’d address it and put it out there so everyone can benefit from this nugget of knowledge I’ve learned over time.
Instagram is probably one of my favorite social media because of one huge thing for me personally: it’s visual. I’m a visual person. In an instant, someone can take a look at your instagram and get a feel for your aesthetic, your flow, your mojo.
Depending on what you’re doing and how you’re doing it, Instagram can be hugely successful to attracting business to you. People have an idea of what they’re looking for and what they’re attracted to. Are you projecting what your target market is looking for or looking at?
Here are my 5 tips to grow your followers and business on Instagram.
- Look at your profile picture. Do people get a good image of what you are? Who you are? Are you using a picture from family vacation or your brand logo? Think about what they see and is it something they’d identify with and be attracted to.
- What is your profile description? Do people get the gist of what you do, who you are? Or is it very blah generic that they’d be saying, “hmmmm cute, but what does she do again?” Let them know WHAT it is you have to offer them.
- Do you share your website and how people can reach you? Your profile is the only place that a clickable link is available. So include it! Do you have an email for them to see to hire you or get in touch with you? Add that to your profile description.
- Does your feed flow? Does it represent your brand? This is the biggest reason why I love Instagram. Think of it as a magazine of your brand. What you’d see in Traditional Home is different than what you’d see in Vogue or in Self. Same goes with your feed. Does it flow? Does it appeal to your audience? They will scroll through and in an instant decide if they want to stay or leave, if they want to look further at your posts and follow you or bail onto the next one. If they don’t flow right now, start now! Your top 9 is what are the most important. So start today and make it all cohesive and representative of what you have to offer.
- Do you post regularly and engage? Unfortunately, Instagram is like twitter in that it’s a fast paced thing. If you stop posting, people won’t see your feed. Makes sense! And the less you’re on, the more they might decide to drop you. No need to follow you if you’re not sharing regularly and sharing good stuff. They have others to see. And engagement is KEY! Especially since Instagram changed its algorithm to that similar to Facebook, when people talk to you, talk back! And engage with others that you’re following and liking. Grab their attention! It’s called social media because it’s MEANT to be social!
Here’s a look at my Instagram.
Did you know I do business consulting as well? I don’t talk about it too much on the blog, but because of my work here and with Honestly Margo, I do consulting and speaking on starting and growing a business, and parenting, and motivation, and all kinds of good stuff that help people, business people and non-business people, live On Purpose. Interested in working with me? Reach out to me HERE.
Want to connect with me more? Grab your favorite drink and hang out with me and my tribe in The Lounge! More tips on business and on life. It’s so fun and it would be even more fun if you’re there!