If you’re going to be in Oklahoma City this upcoming weekend, I invite you for just a day to come and be Greek like me.
Every year, our Greek community at St. George Greek Orthodox church hosts a GREEK FESTIVAL and it is one annual event you don’t want to miss if you love anything at all about Greek food, culture, history, music or ME! HA! (just kidding!). Held at the church in north Oklahoma City, you can come experience all this goodness Friday, Saturday and Sunday.
Why would you want to come be Greek for a day? First… let me show you a bit of what you’ll see…
Home made treats like these….
These are Melomacarona…
and here are a few pics of these WONDERFUL spice cookies being made from scratch from these Greek hands…
That’s one BIG mixer (and mi padre)…
These are Kourambiethes, butter cookies covered in powdered sugar, made traditionally for weddings,
Koulouria (dipping cookies for your coffee), ready packaged up for you take home with you….
A behind the scenes look at one of the main course preparation….
An assembly line making the Pastichio (like a Greek lasagna)…
Evzones Matthew and Kosta…
And more Greek dancers.
The top 5 reasons why YOU should come and be Greek for a day:
1. Food you can’t find anywhere else. For real. A.MA.ZING. to say the least. Both to eat there as well as take home with you… from the grocery store, to prepackaged pastries, to a full dinner plate, to ala cart items in the tent. There is something for everyone’s taste buds.
2. Entertainment… Music and Dancing. Who doesn’t love music? Music MOVES us to feel… feel ALIVE! And that is one thing Greeks love, is LIFE! You’ll experience traditional Greek Folk music performed by a live Greek band as well as some of Greece’s hottest hits (like our top 40, their top 40… and let me tell you, it’s so good that I listen to it in my car HERE in the US). Dressed in traditional Greek costume, you’ll see performances from children to adults, but inside and outside. You can enjoy these while dining, shopping, mingling with your friends.
3. History and Religion. If you wish to learn about our church and religion, tours are offered with a guide explaining the church itself and a bit about the Greek Orthodox Religion, the FIRST and UNCHANGED religion from the days of Christ.
4. Shopping. Bring home some pretty cool Greek gift items you can’t find anywhere else.
5. The People and the culture. Seriously, I have to say, Greeks are full of love and live and hospitality. And once you’re around us, you’ll GET IT. Trust me. And then, you’ll want to be Greek EVERY day!
You can find ME in the tent selling the Loukoumades (honey puffs) along with the Greek coffee and pastries. Come say Hi! I’d love to see you!
Want more info? HERE is all the info you need. I can’t wait to see you!