I’m very embarrassed to say how long this post has been due. A LONG time. But better late than never. I had other things I wanted to share and I knew this wasn’t going anywhere. So finally, I’m sharing my family room makeover: before and after.
A while ago (the post was HERE and HERE) I talked about my family room dilemma, what to do with the TV, and the big open hole that was the built in media cabinet from two decades ago. Well, I did something about it, along with give the room a refresh.
The biggest change I made was the paint colors. Not only was it a huge improvement, it was the least effort and least expensive with the most dramatic results. First I changed the paint on the wall to Quietude from Sherwin Williams, then I changed all the woodwork color. For the family room cabinets, I chose a white lacquer. I wanted the bar to stand out as a separate piece of the room, so I painted it black. I chose to keep the marble the same because it would minimize expense.
Some of the details I changed:
- I added unique gold coral knobs to the family room cabinetry.
- I added a smokey mirror backsplash to the bar.
- I changed the bar’s hardware to glass and gold knobs.
- I had our carpenter make faux doors beneath the TV so we wouldn’t have the huge space beneath it.
- I removed the toile ballon shades.
Some of the bigger changes I made:
- I had a mirror built with hidden hinges to hide that big “hole” that used to be the media cabinet beside the TV.
- I changed the chaise lounge, the coffee table, the chair behind the sofa, and switched out a few of the accent tables.
- I got a new arc lamp in the corner.
- I redid my bookshelves, got some new accessories and also changed the things on my walls.
I didn’t add the chandelier in the bar because the electrician couldn’t wire it to it’s own setting, not connected to the canned lighting because of the second floor. Boo! I still have the chandelier… now to find the perfect spot for it.
So voila. There you have it! Before and after. What a difference all of this made!
If you like any of these please PIN them.
Tell me… do you like the facelift I gave our family room? What is your favorite thing I changed? Next week I’m going to share a curated collection of accessories for your home if I were to go shopping for you. Stay tuned!